Thursday, July 15, 2010

Journaling

Why is it that we forget the good things that we did as a kid that helped us to cope with the tough things in life? As a kid I used to draw and write. I would do both for hours. My mother never understood my ability to sit so long to do these things because I could never really sit still that long for anything else (except reading). But as I grew up, and once I got out of college, I just dropped the habit of journaling. I used to get all of my frustrations and feelings out on a page, or two, or three...well, sometimes many more than that. The point is that once I dropped that therapeutic habit, where did all of those feelings go? There was no place to get them out. Eventually they just began spinning in my head, a rotating mantra of negative energy that pretty soon paralyzed my creative flow. It's very important that people, artist-types especially, find an outlet for the negative energy that comes there way. Yes, practicing and creating art definitely helps to purge these hindrances, but it does not completely eliminate them. Neither does journaling. However, the act of practicing both gets the rollercoaster out of your head and makes way for the creative flow to come straight out. When there is a maze of negativity clogging your mind, you need that pen to find the way.




When practicing the rituals of Walking in this World, morning pages are put into place specifically for opening the flow of creativity. As a practitioner, I have found these pages to do wonders! By getting things off of my chest first thing in the morning, I have found that my brain is completely open for the many ideas that are hiding up there. Plus, my day begins in a much less stressful way. I have taken the hamster out of its wheel, and my brain is not droning away on topics. It's completely pleasant. However, by the end of the day I have also found that the hamster has usually jumped back on its exercise wheel and is driving me completely nuts! Sometimes it even keeps me awake at night. So, in addition to my morning pages, I have recently also begun writing evening pages. At night, after I have put Ava to bed, I go somewhere quiet. Lately that quiet place has been on my front steps or on a bench in my backyard. Either way, I take my journal and completely work out things that I didn't even know were up there. One night I thought about how I neglect my husband's hobby (hunting) because I don't agree with the killing of animals. Yet, I still expected him to respect, and even listen to me go on and on about my projects. I even ended up giving this entry to him. It has helped me to be a better friend to my husband. I do listen to his hunting stories now. I may not enjoy the gruesome parts, but he needs to share that with his best friend (Me!). I have also journaled about my lack of motivation lately and have discovered that I need to get myself a routine and a schedule. Lists have begun to be my best friend (except when I don't follow them - then they are my worst enemy!). When you journal at both times of the day, you definitely get to know yourself - especially the parts that you don't normally acknowledge.



Journaling is an amazing creative tool. I have also gotten the itch to make some creative journals. I have included sketches and doodles in my morning/evening pages journal, but I would like to do more. So why haven't I you may ask? Well, that's where that fear thing comes into play that I talked about last time. Fear is such a horrible feeling, but once you learn how to work with it, you can do anything. I just haven't quite learned that completely yet. I know I can do these things, it's just that sometimes I freak myself out and let my head get the better of me. Jumping in with both feet would be the best thing for me to do. I have definitely been stalling for the past couple of weeks. Bad! Bad! Bad! I have let fear grab hold and take me for a ride. It's time for this wild bronco to start kicking until I throw it off! Do you guys have any ideas on how to get that fear monster to shut up and stay quiet? If you do, please respond in the comments. I would love to hear your ideas and maybe try some of them out.



As always, thanks for listening - or reading. It's always a pleasure. Have a beautifully blessed day! I got my creativity - now go out and get yours!

4 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of journaling! Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. I get this "fear" all the time and as jouney on my creative dream, i slowly learn to embracy them. These days, i write list down my fears and at the side of each fear i write positive notes to myself. And often time this helps lots to get moving as i acknowledge these fears and it also helps me to practise courage. Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

    jacqueline
    http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the morning pages practice too! though I haven't in a few days....thanks for the inspiration to get back at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new blog! It's wonderful. And I love your watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journaling is so important--you are right. I used to sit in coffeeshops for hours and just write. I haven't done that in quite awhile. Your post has motivated me to be more diligent about that--I do miss it. As far as conquering fear and lack of confidence, that is a daily struggle for me. I don't know how to get over it. this community of flyers has helped a lot. thanks for you kind comments on my blog. And I always look forward to reading yours!

    ReplyDelete