Monday, July 26, 2010

Music and News (Not music news)

Music



Well, there has been quite a bit going on around here…we’ve been painting my sister’s new house so that she can move in, and I took my daughter to her first concert…that’s my excuse for not blogging lately. I need to be better at keeping up with that. Sometimes life just does get in the way. But it’s our life, so we determine how often it gets carried away with itself.  Anyway, this blog is an important one to me. Music during “working” (playing) time is a very crucial part of my process. It can affect how well I work, my process, or even the outcome of a piece. Being moved by all forms of creativity is important, but art, music, and writing are the components of my artistic being (we’ll get to the writing part in a later post).


Let me start by sharing an event with you. It was probably one of my favorite nights in my life thus far because I got to share something that I love with my daughter…music. On Friday night I took my daughter Ava, six, to her first concert. Now some parents may choose to take their children to a Disney, teeny-bopper concert for their first experience. However, I wanted Ava to be somewhere that was positive, and did not entice my child to wear risqué clothing and rebel against their parents. (By the way, if you are a fan of the programming or recording artists at Disney, please do not take offense. This is only my opinion, and I do not judge.) So the first concert she attended was Jack Johnson. His music is mellow and a great example of self-expression, and his values about the earth and his mission to preserve it are found everywhere at each venue. He provides material about water conservation, recycling, and taking care of our earth; water stations where you can fill up any ecologically sound water bottle that you bring in from home, and his concert memorabilia are made from organic materials. The proceeds from the merchandise and concert go to a charity. I don’t know many artists who are this devoted to a cause. So taking Ava to this concert was a no-brainer. My sisters joined us as well. Ava loved the concert! She said that she loved it so much more than she thought she would, and she would definitely like to see him again. That made me so excited!


Jack Johnson

Ava dancing at the Jack Johnson Concert - she is totally into it!



 After sharing this moving experience with Ava, and having danced along with her to several songs, I am more of a believer that music enhances all of my memories, and completely inspires me. Whenever I am out in my art cottage working (pictures of my art cottage can be found to the right, included in the slide show), there is usually music playing. I’ve noticed that some music can inspire projects, some affect the methods or materials used in a project, and some can totally distract the original outcome of a piece. It is so essential to make sure that the music I am listening to fits the mood I am in, or need to be in. Music moves my hands as I work. The tempo and tone of the music determines what speed and what force I work at. I never thought about how much it affects me until I decided to study myself while I worked. When I played music that matched my mood, my paintings turned out nicer, and came from my hands much more easily than when I played music that did not match. Fast yet light music made my hands work quickly with light strokes. Fast music that was harder had the opposite effect. I am most comfortable and relaxed working with mellow music, fast or slow, playing. (This does not always work though if it does not match my mood.)






Music has always been important to me, and different songs trigger different moments in my life. I have nostalgic songs from my childhood (Blonde, Michael Jackson – sans nose job, Duran Duran, The Cars, etc.), adolescence (Billy Joel, Roxette, New Kids on the Block – never liked them, but my sister’s did, Meatloaf, etc.), my teenage years (The Fresh Prince – a.k.a. Will Smith, Shakespeare’s Sister, Martika, Heavy D., etc.), my college years (Phish, Dave Matthews Band, Alanis Morrisette, Milla Jojovich, etc.) to my adult years (Jack Johnson, Donovan Frankenreiter, Norah Jones, Linkin Park, etc.). Music has been there every step of my life. I can hear Blonde, which reminds me of a terry-cloth jumper I had when I was little, and warm summer days. If I am playing during this song, my project will tend to have more childlike qualities. When I hear Phish, I am reminded of some of the toughest moments in my life and my inner struggles. If I were to create during this type of music, the product would be more dark and serious. It’s all very complicated actually.






Almost every time I am in my art cottage, there is music playing. In my car, there is always music, and while I am cooking there is always music. Occasionally I need the music of nature. It’s there, but many people don’t take the time to listen to it. The music of nature heals me and helps unclog any creative blocks that have arisen. No matter what type of music, it’s always here in my life, and in my creativity, and it always will be. Check out the list to the side that shows some of the music I enjoy listening to.






News


Okay everyone! Since I have become motivated, I have decided to try goal setting more in depth. I made a plan for this week. The goal is to open my Etsy shop on Friday. I made my “To Do” list, and allotted each day its list of things to do. Blogging is part of this list. I would like to document my process in getting through the set up. First, I have begun the process of setting up shop. I have made my logo (pictured below), and need to install it. At the moment I am researching shop policies and trying to decide what my policies will be. At the same time, I am working on three projects that I have already begun in the hopes of having them ready for the shop opening on Friday. I am already confused by Paypal, but think I have it figured out. I think that I just list an item as I post it on Etsy. I just cannot figure out what my number is that I put into my Etsy account. That is on my agenda for figuring out on Wednesday. Any tips you all have for my grand opening would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I will try to keep you all informed each day this week as I continue on my journey. Feel free to chime in with advice, thoughts, tips, or just a general hello. As always, may you have a magnificent day!




My New Logo - Please comment and let me know your opinion of it.  Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Your logo is so joyfull. I like it very much..I'll stay tuned to see your work on etsy...Go girl and "ERnjoy the Ride" through this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph! Good luck with the Etsy Shop. You sure are getting things done!

    I love your logo.

    Did you know that Phish held their first show in a place called Nectar's in Burlington, VT? Nectar is a little Greek man with a heart of gold. Unfortunately, he sold the business a few years ago and things are a lot different. Phish dedicated one of their albums to him.

    I'll be glad when this Bachelorette season is over and we get back to being creative on Monday nights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,

    Thank you for stopping by! Also thank you for your compliment on my logo. It's just nicer to stay joyful. :) Please do stay tuned!

    It is an amazing journey, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan,

    Thanks for the encouragement and support you have given me along the way! I am so grateful to have a friend like you. I did not know that about Phish. Nectar sounds like a great man. I love nice people. That's amazing that they dedicated one of their albums to him. Thanks for telling me!

    Creative Monday nights, here we come!

    ReplyDelete