Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Watercolors! I did it!

I've always been afraid of watercolors.  I know, it's an irrational fear.  I mean, even when we are very young, the very first encounters that many kids have with paint are with watercolors.  We get paint books that already have the paint on the page; we just need to add the water.  Finger paints, and paints that you are given as gifts are usually watercolors.  It's like the first basic art supply (paint wise) that there is.  I grew up with these forays into juvenile art.  For many years I am sure I dabbled in this frightening media - without knowing its dangers.  What are those dangers you may ask?  No clue.  I have absolutely no clue.  I have been afraid of this media since I can remember.  Crazy, right?  I bought myself a set of watercolors years ago.  I even got them out a couple of times and dabbled - but did not really paint with them - only to quickly put them away.  I could not figure out how to work them, mold them to my visions.  I could not tame these paints.  That is, until...

My friend Laura - beautiful soul - is a watercolorist.  She is an all around artist, but most of the art that I have seen of hers are these absolutely fabulous and breath-taking watercolor portraits.  She was over at my house last night, along with Jan (we missed you Jordan!) for our Monday night ladies meeting (or fun fest).  Laura actually came over earlier so that we could work on art together.  We have discovered that it is nice to be sitting with someone while we create.  She was making a gift of a portrait for someone she knows.  While watching her, I decided that I would like to try it as well.  So I asked my dear friend if she would be willing to teach me how to paint portraits.  I watched as she explained each step of what she was doing.  Then I got out one of my favorite pictures of Ava.  Sketching it was tough as it has been so long since I have drawn a face.  By the time I finished drawing, there was not really time to actually lay the painting.  So I was supposed to go to Laura's house tonight to learn how to do that.

Well, after overheating while mowing the lawn, I post poned our art time.  I was completely exhausted.  Man, who knew water could help you not get quite so knocked out by heat.  I'll have to try that next time it's ninety degrees while I am mowing.  :)  Anyway.  After taking a nap I finally decided that I would not work on the sketch I began last night, but sketch another picture and try painting that.  Now folks, why do you think I chose to do a different picture?  Well, when trying something new I am not always the confident glowing woman you see before you now.  I know, I hate to shatter anyone's perception of me :).  So I tried a different picture.  Let me just say that I think Laura is a darn good teacher!  Now, I'm not saying that my portrait is perfect, but I think it is pretty good for a first painting with watercolors (at least since I was, like, 5).  But don't take my word for it.  Please, by all means give me feedback!  What do you think?  Tips?  Pointers?  I am actually thinking that I am going to do a study of watercolor portraits now.  Hooray!  I know, one more thing to add to my list of things I want to do!

What is something that you, dear reader, have tried after many years of being afraid of it?  Please do share!  I'd love to know.  Stories are the sustenance of life!  Share!

Also, stay tuned for progress on my Etsy shop.  Hopefully it will be opening within the next week!  Just a sneak tip - those who leave comments may be in for a discount!  :)

See you all in a few days!  May your life be as happy as is humanly possible!  Love!

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I refuse to believe this is your first portrait in watercolor :) The colors are great and the creases in the shirt and stalks of grass are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! But truthfully, it is my first! I am so excited that I have overcome my fears and have found a new media that I absolutely love!!!! Thanks for checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and the honesty in this post. We sound like we have a lot in common. I've been putting off art because I was afraid of failing. Glad we are now flying together. Thanks for commenting on my first blog post. I'm a follower of yours now and can't wait to support one another:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carrie! I'm glad we are flying together as well. It's nice to know that there are other birds like me flying in the sky! Please visit often. I promise to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie, I just wanted to let you know that I added your blog to my bloglist on my blog (wow that's a lot of blog). Anyway, I hope you get some people to come visit from my site! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie,
    I have also added yours to mine. Thank you so much! Would you be interested in letting me interview you for my blog? I appreciate you coming to visit. Please keep doing so!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephanie, I just popped over from flying lessons to say Hi. I'm doing some review, and I liked your comment on parenting and being an artist. How we grow with our children, so true. Hopefully we can keep in touch. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristy, thanks for stopping by! Thank you for your comment. It is important to grow with our children, and there are so many thing that I want to impart to my daughter. Art and being able to express yourself are two important things! Talk to you soon! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete